Kartbook

Australian Karting Forum

A reality check for those that think all is well!

Yesterday my son and I went to the local sporting car club's come and try day for a look.

A few key stats to bring everyone in karting back to reality;

Membership half price for under 18's ($45)

Junior Licence less than half price ($30)

Race entries half price for under 18's ($40-50)

We spoke to a number of people who bought cars from auction for less than $1000 and had grins on their faces as large as any I have yet seen at a kart meeting.

No super sticky tyres required that wear out in one meeting

No homoligated rear bumper bars required

Engines last a whole season or two...........

No arbitary weight limits

No transducer required

ETC ETC ETC

Yes we know this is GRASS ROOTS motorsport but if you are being realistic none of you out there or your kids will be professional race drivers................. so you are doing it for fun!

Not sure what we will do now but the other half of the equation is for us to race this year we need to;

Buy a new engine KA 100 $3000

Buy a rear bumper $350

Buy new tyres every 1-2 meetings $300

Buy a rib protector and new seat (because the rib protector makes the old one too small) $500

Junk a J that a year ago was worth $1000-1500

Have no one to race with in Junior heavy unless we travel a minimum of 3 hours and then only a couple of others......... so stuck in a JNL field watching them take off.........

My son and I ARE doing this for fun and got into it about 18months ago and ran all last year and now HAVE to spend the above just to race.   We have not raced this year and not sure if we will.

ITS BLOODY RIDICULOUS

How can anyone think KA are looking after the majority of the sport? 

Views: 34962

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One thing you can do Julian, and I am guessing you may not have thought of this, is the chassis straight and the seat position?

Neville, hi, thanks for the suggestions. The idea around getting a fast kid to give it a run is a great one. The kart is straight, and the seat in the out of the box position. I am lucky enough to have been able to buy an new kart ... I muck around with old cars a bit and the time and money I've spent bringing old parts up to scratch lent me in that direction, together with no experience with karts. I'm happy to buy new tyres on a semi regular basis but think it's probably worthwhile him pounding around with slightly less than perfect grip to make him work at it a bit at least. I wasn't sure though at what point the tyres go from initial drop off and a steady state to just flogging a bit of a dead horse.

Cheers Julian

As has been suggested, the best way of getting quicker is laps laps and more laps.

Old tyres won't hurt him,  he will develop the reflexes of loosing grip and correcting it.  Helps find that point of no return through the seat, or more to the point the body part attached to the seat.

Julian Graham said:

Neville, hi, thanks for the suggestions. The idea around getting a fast kid to give it a run is a great one. The kart is straight, and the seat in the out of the box position. I am lucky enough to have been able to buy an new kart ... I muck around with old cars a bit and the time and money I've spent bringing old parts up to scratch lent me in that direction, together with no experience with karts. I'm happy to buy new tyres on a semi regular basis but think it's probably worthwhile him pounding around with slightly less than perfect grip to make him work at it a bit at least. I wasn't sure though at what point the tyres go from initial drop off and a steady state to just flogging a bit of a dead horse.

Cheers Julian

There were videos on this site showing setup, the reasons why, how and what to look for that would be very useful to someone trying to learn how to setup a kart chassis.

Someone might be able to point you to a link for this as I couldn't find it.

The Karting Australia site has quite a few Get Started in Karting videos worth watching on various topics.

David Arnold said:

There were videos on this site showing setup, the reasons why, how and what to look for that would be very useful to someone trying to learn how to setup a kart chassis.

richard gagie said:

After these meetings there are heaps of tyres in the bins that have plenty of meat on them. Collect some.

Regards,

Richard

Yeah, but be cautious. A few years ago I was was innocently 'dumpster diving' the day after after a round of the State Titles, and was accosted by some big bloke I didn't know wanting to know "hey, what the fuck do you think you're doing, piss off". It went downhill from there.

Apparently it turned out there was an arrangement with the club that the garbage contractor had dibs on any tyres left in the bins. It was rather an unpleasant interaction, and there was no excuse for such aggressive rudeness....

Regards,

John.

Thanks everyone!. Julian

I was thinking of the Videos by Col Fink. :-)

richard gagie said:

The Karting Australia site has quite a few Get Started in Karting videos worth watching on various topics.

David Arnold said:

Not easy for me to give KA a plug!!

David Arnold said:

I was thinking of the Videos by Col Fink. :-)

richard gagie said:

David Arnold said:

There are some Col Fink Videos' on the Kracer.com.au web site under the "gripping stuff" header.

Thanks - have been looking at those Simon.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Col Fink.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service