Kartbook

Australian Karting Forum

Hey all,

So we're nearly six months in and I'm just wondering how everyone is finding the KA100 motor both in clubbie and KA1. What do you love, what do you hate, what do you love AND hate, etc...

I've noticed something looking at the data on CMS... Clubman in WA is getting huge fields. Why is there such a disparity in the number of people who have taken it up over there compared to back east?

Interested to hear from some KA100 owners to see what you think.

Cheers.

Views: 3832

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In senior classes there was not really a requirement for this new Clubman engine in SEQ, so few have surfaced.

It may take a few years as most of the karters in this region are having a good run with their current water cooled TAG motors.

The typical senior club karter had 2 options in January

A. get the top end done on the existing kit and run the club rounds for the whole year

B. purchase a new motor package, try to sell the old motor and any spare parts kept

So almost every karter in SEQ did A.

Most of the popular band water cooled TAG motors seem good for many years with next to no service cost, so I don’t expect they will disappear too soon

I am surprised KA did not realise this would be the case and just run the KA100 in junior classes this year with view to expanding into seniors next year as the juniors progressed up to senior ranks with their new kit.

Just my view guys, the KA100 may be good, but did the existing seniors need it this year?

In the areas "local" to my travels in karting, it seems most have gone to TAG or left for cheap race cars, like the Pulsar or Excel Series.

It would be hard to manage a junior / senior split with the older kids nearing the age of step up?

Apart from the complaints of the carby, I here very good things about the engines from competitors, but early days yet.

Tony Knight said:

In senior classes there was not really a requirement for this new Clubman engine in SEQ, so few have surfaced.

It may take a few years as most of the karters in this region are having a good run with their current water cooled TAG motors.

The typical senior club karter had 2 options in January

A. get the top end done on the existing kit and run the club rounds for the whole year

B. purchase a new motor package, try to sell the old motor and any spare parts kept

So almost every karter in SEQ did A.

Most of the popular band water cooled TAG motors seem good for many years with next to no service cost, so I don’t expect they will disappear too soon

I am surprised KA did not realise this would be the case and just run the KA100 in junior classes this year with view to expanding into seniors next year as the juniors progressed up to senior ranks with their new kit.

Just my view guys, the KA100 may be good, but did the existing seniors need it this year?

Hi Col

Great question, I would have to disagree with most of the negative comments regarding the engine and particularly the carby.

We have run 2 of these since January, one is doing the National series in KA1 and NSW state series in Clubman light the other club days and the NSW State series in Clubman light and a couple in heavy when I have been allowed to have a go.

I think the engine is GREAT, out of the box ours have performed equal and have been competitive at the highest level. I have experienced no problems with the carb other than learning not fluff around idling it on the stand or on the grid (I do basic servicing between meetings nothing changed from standard).

Last week I bolted a new engine and carb on in testing and this engine performed the same.

No one has yet mentioned the DFM Dunlop tyres run in KA1. At first I thought this was a foolish move to run different tyre to Clubman (and still do) but the upside is that the DFM seems to be a great tyre. It is a little bit faster than MG reg but lasts HEAPS longer

I think most the complaints around the carby and fouling plugs I have heard, outside of KB, are in KA100 restricted form.

Interesting comment on the DFM. Maybe a good TAG tyre replacement then?

Russell Becker said:

Hi Col

Great question, I would have to disagree with most of the negative comments regarding the engine and particularly the carby.

We have run 2 of these since January, one is doing the National series in KA1 and NSW state series in Clubman light the other club days and the NSW State series in Clubman light and a couple in heavy when I have been allowed to have a go.

I think the engine is GREAT, out of the box ours have performed equal and have been competitive at the highest level. I have experienced no problems with the carb other than learning not fluff around idling it on the stand or on the grid (I do basic servicing between meetings nothing changed from standard).

Last week I bolted a new engine and carb on in testing and this engine performed the same.

No one has yet mentioned the DFM Dunlop tyres run in KA1. At first I thought this was a foolish move to run different tyre to Clubman (and still do) but the upside is that the DFM seems to be a great tyre. It is a little bit faster than MG reg but lasts HEAPS longer

Ahh that makes sense, I seem to remember lots of people grizzling about J's being hard to tune with a restrictor some time ago. It is probably not the best method of slowing and engine, but does make a lot of sense economically.

Yes I think the DFM would be good, only issue is you need tyre tools to change as the case is really stiff.

More stiff then an mg red? When is the tire contracts up for renewal next?

We run 2 KA100's, 1 restricted, 1 unrestricted in WA.

The unrestricted one has been faultless all year. no complaints at all.

As for the restricted motor, constant carby issues, ignition box failure and crank case seals popping out. We kept persisting with the carby but to no avail, finally swapped to another carby and we haven't looked back since. Although all the issues in the first half of the year have ruined my younger boys confidence, still working on that.

As for the take up in WA. Well, we're too far away for the National Series or Pro Tour. So may as well race an engine with good parity on a good tyre. Changing TaG to the Dunlop SL6 was the best thing for Clubby over here. Jmax in WA is dead due to the costs to attend the Pro Tour, poor engine parity and the Mojo not working well when other rubber is on the track. (coincidentally, Jnr Clubby is also booming)

We see a lot of KA100's on the track here and the parity is awesome. It's all about the driver & setup now. Any perceived parity issues will most likely be carby (or driver) related, not the engine itself.

The X30 is $3490 with 2 sets of tyres, reds or dunlops....

Hey guys,

I got to experience the KA100 yesterday for the first time after being at the track all day with the importer Remo. (please note, I was not paid to write this review, and this is an independent review of anything related to IAME/Kartbook/Remo Racing and the views expressed are purely my own)

Remo came to Ballarat to do some testing for the country series, so I tagged along to see what I could learn (one of the best free karting lessons you could ever have is watching one of Australia's best go around your home circuit). 

I must tell you, my first impression of the motor is great, the power delivery is awesome, and overall much easier to drive. The kart was an M4 Vegas, and given that I am slightly shorter than Remo, lacked a little grip in comparison, and being able to reach the pedals generally helps. The one thing that impressed me though with the motor was the drive ability... It was very smooth through the whole rev range, and I think given the chance at a state level will definitely take off. (note, I have always loved a good aircooled race regardless). 

The other thing that got me, after listening to the motor in the seat is the noise! It's unreal! I have listened to this motor on the sidelines for a while, but being in the seat hearing it was something different!

Given only a few laps, we ran a little bit richer than what we could have, yet, it still was clean off the turn and didn't really need any tuning unless I was going to try set the world on fire. 

I think the biggest argument that alot of people have forgotten, is that KA has seemingly had a bullet on it's back given the rush of the changes recently, if that motor was not called the "KA" and the IAME Reedjet, would it be given a different chance? I would genuinely be curious about peoples answer to this question

I should note also, that when I was at the track, we had two motors to bolt on. 1 had done about 2 hours from brand new, and the other one had done about 20. Both performed relatively the same! (same carb, gearing) and the splits in terms of straight line speed were exactly the same. It was a bit difficult to tell if one was faster than the other due to us improving the kart a little more during the day, but the one that had done more hours didn't show any signs of being slower than the new one out of the box. I would have been interested to have 5 motors at the track once we have the kart near on the money, and just put them all on and see what the difference would be in terms of performance.

Personally, I would give this motor a thumbs up after only little laps.I did.

Cheers

Fongy

I think there are 2 reasons why it has not got going as a class yet.

1. COST. Being an air cooled engine and only a few hundred cheaper than the X30, I struggle to justify the $3100 price tag (all be it a far superior engine to the MiniRok at $2900 IMO)

2. There is no single progression from club to national class with this engine. This is due to KA wanting a piece of the Tire pie $$$ and importing their own tyre for the national classes.

Adding to this the KA100 was not needed given that IAME already has an equivalent engine in its line up. so why did we have a new engine designed just for the Australian market? Could KA have struck a better deal by using an engine that was already developed?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Col Fink.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service