Kartbook

Australian Karting Forum

Here is a photo of Felice Tiene, winner of the KF2 World Cup in Spain on the weekend. Let's play a game of spotting all the infringements he would cop if racing in Australia...

No hands

Go Pro mounted in view of the race number

No teather attatched to Go Pro

Any more..?

This image is shown all over the world of karting, as an acceptable action of celebrating a win, yet here it is punished.

Stirring the pot :)

Views: 6320

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The AKA are worried about crap like the above and yet dont give a shit about safety............e.g suits not CIK rated, you can use an old bike lid, gloves any old welding gloves will do.............maybe Eurpoe is the answer after all they produce the best drivers just loook at the F1 grid they all raced karts and cars in Europe.

Where did you pull that shit from?

Mike Nairn said:

The AKA are worried about crap like the above and yet dont give a shit about safety............e.g suits not CIK rated, you can use an old bike lid, gloves any old welding gloves will do.............maybe Eurpoe is the answer after all they produce the best drivers just loook at the F1 grid they all raced karts and cars in Europe.

What shit mate please enlighten me.

Lennie,

Hate to tell you that there is a law.... a motorcycle rider must keep

at least one hand on the handle bars...... also he must have both feet on the pegs while moving...

Well you better tell that to the highway patrolmen that are almost always over those types of laws, 3 times in the last month Ive passed a cop car with neither hand on the bars as I have been either stretching or rubbing a shoulder or some such thing, and when I got my L's back in 2001 I can tell you that there was categorically no such law as I actually decided to find out exactly what I could and could not get booked and lose points for.

About wearing bike lids, welding gloves and non CIK race suits?

Mike Nairn said:

Neville Scullion said:

About wearing bike lids, welding gloves and non CIK race suits?

Mike Nairn said:

As an example mate there is no requirement to wear a C.I.K. HOMOLOGATED KART SUIT in Australia you merely turn up with some crap from Ebay for $99 and its all good..........at scrutineering in Europe all suits are checked for the C.I.K label in the collar, Helmets as long as it complies to Australian Standards again its all good many a time you see a cadet or rookies wearing a 2-2.5kg helmet on there small neck and shoulders wobbling through a tight corner as the g forces attempt to pull there head of...........again mandatory in the Europe that a child under 15yrs old must wear a CMR Helmet which is again homolagated and weighs half the above...........its amazing when you sell a father a CMR helmet then you catch them at the track and they thank you for the difference in the kids lap times as little Johnny can drive through the corner quicker now...............never mind about the safety  :).................same with the gloves any old glove will do.

Hopefully one day the AKA will wake up and follow the rest of the world and make safety a priority in our sport rather than worrying about the number of licence holders.....how many parents wouldnt enter the sport if they new little Johnny was at risk of serious neck injury every time they put there $100 helmet on or that the suit Johnny was wearing had not met any C.I.K standards and would fall apart when Johnny came out of the Kart ????  

We are in Australia and NOT Europe to start with.  As standards and the criteria HERE for a helmet, and suits are to be of an abrasive resistant material.  So I believe your argument is somewhat flawed.  Having said that though, your assertion that AKA permit drivers to be adorned in boiler suits, welding gloves and bike helmet are absurd, however having raised the issue of neck braces, popular amongst the younger driver, via the A1 rule, the AKA have still not done a damn thing rectifying the anomaly.

So are you saying its OK because we are in Australia then mate...............lets hope not.

I have no arguement just pointing out facts.............where did i mention boiler suits ??...............I have seen a guy wear what looked like welding gloves and jeans and a polo whilst driving a shifter kart on a practice day......yes he was on his own until we arrived.

All kids under 15 should wear a CMR helmet to protect there imature necks not some crap motorbike helmet or even worse as per the AKA rule book a motocross helmet if they cant find a small helmet.................helmets are made down to size 54 and I have sold many to 7-8 yr olds just starting............yes they are more expensive but most parents would value there kids head at more than $700.

A neck brace will do little to save your neck with a 2.5kg helmet on it when you hit the tyres mate flat out in a rookie kart.........next time your in a race shop please grab a CMR helmet Bell or Arai then pick up a cheapie then come back and tell me what you think.

14.03 Driving Suit:

1. One-Piece Protective Clothing with full length sleeves and trousers, adequately secured at the

neck, wrists and ankles shall be worn. Suits of leather, vinyl or abrasive resistant material are

strongly recommended. Boiler type overalls with ‘POP’ type buttons are not acceptable.

As far as I am aware if it has a zip - then there is no reason why you can't wear a boiler suit (if you're game)

and welding gloves would certainly offer as much or more protection to abrasion than many gloves people do wear!!

And it wasn't that many years ago that "bloodstones" were the boot of choice ..!! I think the dirt boys still wear them and I have seen guys wear  steel capped safety boots  (to help with weight !!)

So maybe not such an absurd comment after all ??

Perhaps if we were more serious about the type of apparel to be worn,  the reference to a boiler suit should be removed.

Perhaps  specify an abrasive resistant material with inner cotton liner is the minimum requirement  (Walden Miller type) that will be accepted.  CIK certified is probably not necessary - but would offer the best type of protection short of leathers

cheers

Neville Scullion said:

We are in Australia and NOT Europe to start with.  As standards and the criteria HERE for a helmet, and suits are to be of an abrasive resistant material.  So I believe your argument is somewhat flawed.  Having said that though, your assertion that AKA permit drivers to be adorned in boiler suits, welding gloves and bike helmet are absurd, however having raised the issue of neck braces, popular amongst the younger driver, via the A1 rule, the AKA have still not done a damn thing rectifying the anomaly.

I got dragged up to have my ass chewed out for having my hands within inches of the s/wheel. Its not the infringment its whos watching and how much they want to shaft you. Just get your competitors mum and a his club mate in the stewards room and your stuffed.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2019   Created by Col Fink.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service