Kartbook

Australian Karting Forum

Hey, 

Just wondering where is the best place to put lead is?
I have to put 32kG on the kart but don't know where it is best for balance and whatnot. 
This is with a full tank of fuel... 

Where do I start?

Views: 1354

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the restrictor idea is definitely an option for a club level class that could be implemented long term and would require much deliberation. Which unfortunately i cannot see the current governing body putting the required time or resources into it.

I think without adding another class or trying to reinvent the wheel (like the new 4stroke class, another cost for karters that limits race options) current weights need to be revised. 

If we have karters still requiring in excess of 20kg of lead onto a 125cc kart just to make the light limits then something has to be investigated. Especially if this is the case for a high percentage of light drivers.

Obviously for the heavy classes we have a max kart weight to help prevent extremely heavy karts from a safety point, so why is no consideration made for the light classes. 

I know they obviously can only go off averages and theoretical numbers so it will never be a perfect system. 

Ultimately if this high kart weight is only affecting a small amount of light drivers, especially younger (just entered seniors) then maybe there is not much we can do that won't hurt the sport from club up to national levels. But if we have a high level of karts pushing close to the 100kg+ then something has to be done because unfortunately in our sport the extreme cases can and do happen meaning at some point there will be a kart on top of someone or hurtling toward them that is equivalent to a wrecking ball. And in 125cc classes especially possibly moving at high speeds.

Danger is part of our sport and always will be but it still has to be managed.

The MAX kart weight on the heavy class is so that drivers right on, or under the light weight, can not lead up, to make the required weight to run with heavies, its not about kart weight from a safety perspective.

As for the restrictor equalisation, the hard work has already been done for the 125 classes as they were using it in SA with great results.

Benjamin Piper said:

I think the restrictor idea is definitely an option for a club level class that could be implemented long term and would require much deliberation. Which unfortunately i cannot see the current governing body putting the required time or resources into it.

I think without adding another class or trying to reinvent the wheel (like the new 4stroke class, another cost for karters that limits race options) current weights need to be revised. 

If we have karters still requiring in excess of 20kg of lead onto a 125cc kart just to make the light limits then something has to be investigated. Especially if this is the case for a high percentage of light drivers.

Obviously for the heavy classes we have a max kart weight to help prevent extremely heavy karts from a safety point, so why is no consideration made for the light classes. 

I know they obviously can only go off averages and theoretical numbers so it will never be a perfect system. 

Ultimately if this high kart weight is only affecting a small amount of light drivers, especially younger (just entered seniors) then maybe there is not much we can do that won't hurt the sport from club up to national levels. But if we have a high level of karts pushing close to the 100kg+ then something has to be done because unfortunately in our sport the extreme cases can and do happen meaning at some point there will be a kart on top of someone or hurtling toward them that is equivalent to a wrecking ball. And in 125cc classes especially possibly moving at high speeds.

Danger is part of our sport and always will be but it still has to be managed.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Col Fink.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service