Kartbook

Australian Karting Forum

Massive Investment in New Timekeeping Technology for Karting Australia Clubs.

Todays announcement

Massive Investment in New Timekeeping Technology for Karting Australia Clubs.

Just want to ask 4 questions

1. How much is it costing the karters to upgrade

2. What is the advantage?

3. How is it going to bring new karters into the sport?

4. How will it redress the loss of karters?

Views: 18819

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Same Wankers in charge and their supporter that don't care about anyone and anything but themselves and their own interests.

So you will get the same people that care, continue to be frustrated at the continuation of this type of behaviour of a hobby they once loved being part of. What is shows is heart and passion. Clearly that is to be condemned by some.

Those who accept these things clearly show a lack of both.

Talk about beat a dead horse, in one hand they feed it and in the other had they want all the bits they don't like dead and have been rabbiting on in the same vein for at least 15 years so the plan must be working. Good business practise, if it does not work change the method. The funniest thing of all is the people here complaining actually helped implement it all and championed the new way of doing things, that worked well didn't it. 

Phil Curran said:

Wow . . . same people . . . same old same old . . . sorry I dropped in now . . . 

I won't be back . . .

Bye all . . .

I just re-read the original email sent out by KA (dated 9-Aug-17) and it claims no cost to "State Associations, clubs or karters" but in reality, it is a financial cost to KA (the national body), so it is an indirect cost to karters.

It also requires the old decoder (owned outright by the clubs) to be forfeited, which is another indirect cost as presumably the clubs can't use the other system for non-KA events which let's face it, a club can't survive alone on depleted participator race events.

Thirdly, non-KA events need approval. Why bother asking for approval when it is purely politically motivated? The only proviso should be that the system is available for all KA events so that the karters benefit. If the system is used for other events also, so be it. The clubs are run by karters for the benefit of karters. If a club can generate extra $$ by hiring the track out, then it means less club membership fees.

I originally assumed that the system would be obligation-free supplied by the manufacturer as karters would need the X2 transponders to access the extra information available. Mylaps would make sufficient revenue from the the transponder sales without charging excessively for the decoders.

I heard the new system was use at Stars of Karting last month, how did it go? There's no results on cms.

The results for the the new system are published on the SpeedHive website.


Joan Armstrong said:

I heard the new system was use at Stars of Karting last month, how did it go? There's no results on cms.

Ta Brendan,

I found most of them but the Finals for some classs were missing. I heard a rumour that there was a problem with it, is that why?
 
brendon murphy said:

The results for the the new system are published on the SpeedHive website.


Joan Armstrong said:

I heard the new system was use at Stars of Karting last month, how did it go? There's no results on cms.

Some of the finals were not run due to the weather. I wasn't there so not sure of any problems they might of had with the timing system.

If you need that information, why not just get an old fashioned pit board and get your team to give you the information,rather than buy an expensive new micron.

Allan Howard said:

I am guessing the money is to be made by the sale to karters of the individual kart display systems which show real-time information like:

  • Number of laps remaining
  • Gap to next kart in front and behind
  • Own lap time
  • etc

So it looks like a change of rules is coming soon to allow this communication to the kart to be legal.

So they give this stuff away to clubs free so that the karters will spend the money upgrading their displays.  But if you want other kart information like revs, temp, etc, well you're going to have to buy a supplemental unit anyway.  So I can see this potentially costing the new karter more money not less.

Because you have stay back behind the spectator fence.

Paul harris said:

If you need that information, why not just get an old fashioned pit board and get your team to give you the information,rather than buy an expensive new micron.

Allan Howard said:

I am guessing the money is to be made by the sale to karters of the individual kart display systems which show real-time information like:

  • Number of laps remaining
  • Gap to next kart in front and behind
  • Own lap time
  • etc

So it looks like a change of rules is coming soon to allow this communication to the kart to be legal.

So they give this stuff away to clubs free so that the karters will spend the money upgrading their displays.  But if you want other kart information like revs, temp, etc, well you're going to have to buy a supplemental unit anyway.  So I can see this potentially costing the new karter more money not less.

After entries are taken....at present...it takes 0 mouse clicks to have all entries in their classes/races........next year, it will take some where around 80........first heat grids at present take about 4......next year, about 40......

But how does that affect the board members?  That's just a small issue for someone else as a byproduct of an extremely expensive way of getting rid of Australian karting history.  If only someone knew how the database was made and could write some form of data mining program to save this publicly available data...

Just doing my second race meeting using the new timing system and I'm still finding it difficult compared to CM:S. It just seems like there is so much more to do manually now and that is leading to mistakes and we had a big delay before racing could start. How are others users going with it?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

  • Add Photos
  • View All

© 2018   Created by Col Fink.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service