Kartbook

Australian Karting Forum

Went up to Newcastle yesterday to test out the MG yellows for tag, right rear shot after 70 laps . I'm not to sure the average club day karter is going to be happy about buying a new set of tyres every race meet. I'm sure when DPE did there testing they must of selected all the tracks that are none abrasive and tyre wear is minimal , bring back the MG red / white. Any one else tested at Newcatle or any other thoughts on the tyre

Views: 3175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Only 59 lap completed at Newcastle on the week end with Qualifying,3 heats and a final out of the 75-78 laps that were originally meant to run. It would have been very interesting to see what would of happened if we had to run the other 17-19 laps,I hope Geelong is more yellow friendly.

We did 150 laps on the new MG at Ballarat about a week before our open meet. The only thing that killed the tire was incredibly poor setup. We then went out and did another 40-50 laps on the Saturday of that meeting before we notice there was a *small* drop off. The tire itself is good if you are happy to rotate  them and your kart isn't too bad on tires.... Dennis would know this better than all of us, the key to a good weekend is how to look after a tire if it is final only counts....

Geelong also is pretty good on tires from what I recall, I haven't been there in a while but we never got close to frying a set there even with a below par kart.

Mick hewitt said:

Only 59 lap completed at Newcastle on the week end with Qualifying,3 heats and a final out of the 75-78 laps that were originally meant to run. It would have been very interesting to see what would of happened if we had to run the other 17-19 laps,I hope Geelong is more yellow friendly.

What are some good setup strategies for reducing tyre wear?

Take up golf

Patrick Carter said:

Well, Newcastle is known to be hard on tyres. I remember the first couple sets of MG yellows that I used there only lasted ~70 laps. I tried several setup changes (changing front scrub, camber, rear track width, tyre pressures, torsion bars etc.) but nothing seemed to help.

It was only once I lowered my seat position did the kart come alive. All of a sudden, the setup was within a reasonable operating "window". The kart was a lot quicker, the tyres lasted a lot longer and the other adjustments to the setup became responsive.

Cheers

If you're chewing tyres up within 70 laps it tells me the setup isn't even close, the best setup will result in a quick kart that is easy to drive with much better tyre life, look at how the tyres are wearing after every run.

The good thing with softer tyres is they give much better feedback with setup via tyre wear.

Check out how the tyres are wearing for the fastest guys i will bet they get far more than 70 laps out of them.

Post pics of tyres then we can give our 2 cents worth

Hi Mick Hewitt,

Well done at the first round of the AKC at Newcastle.

Great result.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Col Fink.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service