Kartbook

Australian Karting Forum

Dear KA


PLEASE put TaG Restriced on MG REDS !!!

WHY would TaG125 be on MG REDS with Duro of 61
and TaG Restriced on Dunlop DFH with Duro of 56 (SOFTER TYRE) ?

WHY does every child - B/stone, Dunlop and MG - need to win a prize ?

Harder and longer wearing tyres are in the best interests of Driver Ability, 
those who pay the bills and Clubs ensuring more entries and more affordable karting ...

Did a karter at a Nationals at Ipswich take their allocated B/stone YDS to the Gold Coast track
and put 200 laps on them ? Affordable long life tyres if the compound is good and consistant !

Views: 1402

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

MG Reds, my experience is extremely limited, but happy to share it, FWIW

After an 18 (or so) year hiatus from racing, I bought a used chassis and a new engine which I set up for TAG Restricted on MG Reds. I purchased the tyres cheap and used through Ebay. I then put give or take 300 practice laps on them (on top of whatever unknown number laps the previous owner would have put on them). On race day (Wingham), I qualified about half a second off the pace of the pole sitter (and race day winner), who started the day on brand new Reds.The Reds also felt to have more outright grip than any tyre I had ever previously raced on, though this could be a function of failing long term memory...

So, I thought the Reds were bloody amazing tyres, at least with regard to longevity. I finished the day in 8th place out of 12 starters, when I had more than half expected to finish in a distant last place (considering 18 years lack of  seat time, very used tyres and personal old age...). 

Anyway, that's my one and only MG Red story. This was about three or four years ago, since then increased family responsibilities (caring for an elderly parent) and reduced income (not assisted by KA induced participation costs) have prevented me from racing again. But that's another (sob) story...

Regards,

John.

Paul - Blake raced on reds for a couple of years in TAG (we called it Sportsman SA)  and yes there was  a gain to be had with new tyres  (99% of the time there always will be)

However our experience showed that this was only for the first heat - after that the 3 to 4 tenths advantage was gone

Blake proved that point more than once by winning the day on 4 meeting old tyres - which we often did to prove to the nay sayers that it can be done.

As always kart setup is the key !!!

I have heard  that the DFM is a good tyre  but like David I have had no experience with it.

Once again KA could use past positive experience to greatly assist the club karter .... if only they would listen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Paul Morgan said:

No I am talking about a new set vs a set a meeting old.  At my track there was a at least a .5 difference.
 
 

My experience was the drop off was generally the third heat, so it wasn't till the final things become more even.....so if the fields were large where you started in the final was determined by who started with new tyres.  Then if the parity between position 1 and position 10 is minimal the chances of winning are also minimal. 

The MG red was a good tyre from a grip and wear point of view, just to bigger gap between new.



Ian Mooney said:

Paul - Blake raced on reds for a couple of years in TAG (we called it Sportsman SA)  and yes there was  a gain to be had with new tyres  (99% of the time there always will be)

However our experience showed that this was only for the first heat - after that the 3 to 4 tenths advantage was gone

Blake proved that point more than once by winning the day on 4 meeting old tyres - which we often did to prove to the nay sayers that it can be done.

As always kart setup is the key !!!

I have heard  that the DFM is a good tyre  but like David I have had no experience with it.

Once again KA could use past positive experience to greatly assist the club karter .... if only they would listen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Paul Morgan said:

No I am talking about a new set vs a set a meeting old.  At my track there was a at least a .5 difference.
 
 

Well I’m going to disagree on this one. They actually got this one right switching to the DFM.

The MG red sucked, was a huge cost drain. Every big race meet you went to you needed a new set for qualifying, as they were worth consistently 3 tenths for the first heat cycle.

The dFM is consistent and not really an advantage new and at some tracks you were slower initially on new rubber. They also last 3 race meets and have winning pace til they fall apart.

Other classes not so much, but this one they got right.


I am talking from years of experience in big fields here in Nsw.... please leave this one alone.

interestingly enough, I found also that new MG Reds would often be slower, than a couple of races old. I can steer ok as often I would go the county series, see the track for the first time in carby session, so no practice or setup until heat 1 and I would still manage to finish at the pointy end.

Setup is the key. I have herd people struggling going from GM Red to DFM and vice versa, although I have also believe both tyres are quite consistent, but again, set up is absolute key to getting the most out of any tyre.

For the MG Reds, I had a setup I could put in the kart and maybe gain a tenth or 2, but by the final they were starting to drop off in pace and I could only get a couple of meetings from a set of tyres. I significantly changed my base setup and while it may not have been quite as fast, (for the first race) by the final it was faster, and I could get 4-5 meetings competitively out of a set of tyres.

Again, Set up is key.
 
Leigh Grant said:

Well I’m going to disagree on this one. They actually got this one right switching to the DFM.

The MG red sucked, was a huge cost drain. Every big race meet you went to you needed a new set for qualifying, as they were worth consistently 3 tenths for the first heat cycle.

The dFM is consistent and not really an advantage new and at some tracks you were slower initially on new rubber. They also last 3 race meets and have winning pace til they fall apart.

Other classes not so much, but this one they got right.


I am talking from years of experience in big fields here in Nsw.... please leave this one alone.

Yes. sometimes in carparks at night during the 'nationals' with type pooling.

FURZ



Ian Mooney said:

And .... back in the day it was the Dunlop SL1 that kids would go and put a lot of laps on to get them fast.

Hi Blake, I'm a bit out of touch but do you mean yellows for TAG restricted. Aren't yellows stickier? If so isn't this totally opposite to what restricted was all about- learning race craft, cheaper long wearing equipment inc tyres, lower cost, less physically demanding. 

FURZ

Blake Mooney said:

Tag will be yellows next year.... do you honestly think we will end up on a tyre that will save us money?
That would mean someone is losing money

No simon i meant open 125.... i didnt read the title just the discussion about wanting reds. I assumed it was in relation to open as from most people running restricted i have only heard good things about their tyres so why change

Simon Furzer said:

Hi Blake, I'm a bit out of touch but do you mean yellows for TAG restricted. Aren't yellows stickier? If so isn't this totally opposite to what restricted was all about- learning race craft, cheaper long wearing equipment inc tyres, lower cost, less physically demanding. 

FURZ

Blake Mooney said:

Tag will be yellows next year.... do you honestly think we will end up on a tyre that will save us money?
That would mean someone is losing money

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

  • Add Photos
  • View All

© 2019   Created by Col Fink.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service